I was pretty upset about the new Facebook layout last week. I actually thought about going off Facebook for about a week but then changed my mind as I played around with the new features. When I learned that Google+ went live, I was stoked since I love everything Google. I went and signed up right away.
The first thing I noticed is that the Google+ interface is pretty sweet. It's clean and organized. It lacks the enormous amount of clutter that litters my Facebook page. The very next thing I noticed was the "circles". Google+ circles are similar to Facebook's Lists in that you can group friends, family and other people into specific groups. For example, I have a list and a circle for writers, blogging, work and more.
That's about where the difference ends though. On Google+ you can post a new update like on Facebook but instead of posting to "public", "friends", etc... you can actually post to specific circles. Let's say I want to tell my family and close friends that I am traveling again, I am at a rest area in Boonies, Tx and the kids and I are fine. On Google+ I can pick to share it with my circle of Family and Close friends and no one can see it but them.
I am seeing a lot of potential for this! Sure, Facebook has something like that, but Google+ just made it easier. In fact, I just sent a private message to my friend Sara today as a test. (Yes Sara, you need to go get the android app!) I didn't have to leave the main screen at all. I love it.
While I have been oogling over Google+, it has really helped me understand the Facebook lists better. I did make one list called "Most recent" and added all my friends to it so I could have recent updates in chronological order, but I wasn't quite getting it and I am not in love with the layout of the lists. But the circles seem to be easier to get and use with the smooth Google+ layout.
I am not leaving Facebook. I still like it... but I LOVE Google+. Look me up, I am +Dotchi Latham over there. It's another cool social network toy for me to play with!
No comments:
Post a Comment