Affiliate Ad Disclaimer

Some of the links on my blog are affiliate ads through Google and Amazon. If you buy something through these links, I get a little pocket change. Because of this, I promise to only put ads on my site for products that I back! If you do buy something from these links, thank you!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Profound Thoughts of a Mother

I have been pondering this topic for awhile now. My sister-in-law suggested that I blog about my most profound thought as a mother. Damn you Tammy! Making me think! At first I was really excited about it but then I started thinking and I am not sure what exactly I should share. The profound thought of "I gave birth to an evil genius. How the hell did I birth a genius?"

I really got to thinking about it the other day and I am not sure I ever have profound thoughts on mothering. But here are some of my better ideas.

Let them dye their hair, hell, help them dye their hair. If the worse thing my sons ever do if walk around town with neon pink hair, then I can say I have done a pretty good job. Besides, hair will grow out, you can cut it or something. If my first son were still with us, I wouldn't give a crap if his hair were long or short, parted down the middle or spiked into a mohawk. I wouldn't care if his pants were crisp or ripped and ragged. I would care if they were below his butt though. Pull those things up! I don't care what brand of underwear you are wearing.

It's okay to let them learn from their mistakes rather than constantly standing over them telling them what not to do. Although this does have a downside. Like the time my oldest son decided to try burning a sponge in the bathroom, panicked and then threw it under the sink. He nearly caught the bathroom on fire and destroyed a stack of towels in the process.

When you teach your kids to think for themselves, don't be surprised when they argue with you. Oh boy do I ever know that one. They aren't really arguing, they are just standing up for what they think is right.


Kids need their dad. Even if you hate his guts and visualize a thousand ways of how he could die, let them see their dad. They will eventually see him for what he is. And when they do, try to give them another perspective to mull over. Stress, life, work, being broke, mid-life crisis... try to have them stand in his shoes for a moment. I am blessed that my sons have a good relationship with their dad even though we aren't together. But not every child is so blessed. Remind them of the good things he did or does and let them see the good side too.

I know sometimes it is hard to be mom, especially a single mom. But just remember, you are raising future adults so teach to be like the adults you want to know... not the ones you want to run over with your car... by setting a good example instead of being the good example of what not become.

And hug them often. Even on a horrible day, a hug and "I love you no matter what" can go a long way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Damn you Dotchi for being profound and making me have to think on a dreary Sunday afternoon.

I agree with you on all points, except the part about telling them the good things about their dads, Lil man's dad doesn't have a good side...but if he did, I would agree with that also.

And the arguments...who told me to bring my child up to think for himself? Well that was a HUGE mistake!

I do tell him I love him but it usually goes something like this, "I love you more than anything on this earth...but you're a huge pain in my arse."

And most of our hugs happens when I'm trying to physically wrestle some item from him that he has been banned from...still, it's physical contact...but then so is a slap!

Great post and wonderfully written.