For today's project on 31 Days to Building a Better Blog I started out with search for and join a forum on your blog's topic.
Join a Forum
I thought about it, searched around and realized, my blog doesn't really have a topic. It's a place to post my articles, post pictures, post family updates, tell people about our travels, rant about work and pretty much whatever I want to put on it.
Instead I found two general forums and started reading and browsing. I don't really enjoy chatting in forums or trying to keep up with them so I am using them to see if there is any valuable information about blogging that I can use. I like playing online, I just don't want to be in a forum chatting all day.
Comments
The next project I took on was email a new reader. This was a bit of a downer for me. I don't know who reads my blog because I have very few people commenting on the actual blog. I know my friends, husband, kids, family and coworkers read it but, other than that, I don't really know who reads my blog.
Instead, I went to the comments section to see if I could get ideas. Low and behold! There was a new comment from a new reader. I was thrilled but there was no way of getting a hold of her. There was no email address and the only link was to another website. So I replied to her comment on my blog instead. I also made a note to check the comments section every day or two and reply to every comment made on my blog.
Lessons Learned?
While the blogging forums aren't that much of a help right now, I now have two places I can turn to for guidance, ideas and just general blogging chit chat.
As for the comments, I never really put a lot of thought into replying to the comments made on my blog. I read them, they made me smile or laugh or touched me in some way. I rarely replied though and I am not sure why. From a person's point of view who reads the blogs, I can see the point though. It just never occurred to me to reply.
I am learning a lot and I hope the next lessons help as much as these have. I'll keep posting my updates on my learning adventures in blogging better!
No comments:
Post a Comment