Affiliate Ad Disclaimer

Some of the links on my blog are affiliate ads through Google and Amazon. If you buy something through these links, I get a little pocket change. Because of this, I promise to only put ads on my site for products that I back! If you do buy something from these links, thank you!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Homemade Pumpkin Syrup Recipe

My children love my “homemade” pumpkin pancakes (make pancake mix, replace the milk with canned pumpkin, add a dash of pumpkin pie spice). Usually we just pour good old maple syrup over them or my homemade version of maple syrup. 

This week for pancake day I had all the ingredients for the pancakes but I was missing the crucial ingredient for the syrup, maple flavor. So I started looking around for something to put on top of the pancakes and I had a moment of genius! PUMPKIN!
Here is the recipe I used.

Pumpkin Syrup
You will need:
2 cups brown sugar (or 2 cups white sugar + 2 TBSP Molasses)
1 cup water
Pumpkin (I used canned pumpkin)

In a pot, mix the sugar and water and heat until steam starts to rise off the sugar water. Make sure the sugar is dissolved. 

Then start adding pumpkin and stir it in the syrup mix. I started with 2 TBSP and then added more until it was the right pumpkin taste for me (and OMG, it was delicious!)
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and let it sit there while you are making the pancakes. It will thicken as it sits.

Our reviews
Miles and I thought it was very good. I could drink it for the taste but diabetic coma just doesn’t sound that fun. Miles said it tasted great with the pumpkin pancakes. Sadly, I can’t eat pumpkin pancakes because I am allergic to wheat. But I still think the syrup is awesome!
Mendel 2.0 said it was very good, tasted great with the pancakes but… seriously mom, it’s WAY too pumpkin tasting. So next time I will start with the 2 TBSP pumpkin and have the boys taste test.

I suspect you can make this with other flavors like, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry and even sweet potato. Get creative and let me know what you come up with!


If you try this recipe, leave a comment and let me know what you think!

For more recipes, click here.

No comments: