Affiliate Ad Disclaimer

Some of the links on my blog are affiliate ads through Google and Amazon. If you buy something through these links, I get a little pocket change. Because of this, I promise to only put ads on my site for products that I back! If you do buy something from these links, thank you!

Friday, May 11, 2007

Wow what a day!

I am so cool! I fixed the city water hook up in the RV. I did it my way though MWAHAHAHA! At first I took the water hose and cut off one end of it, then hooked it into the hose system where it would have connected to the holding tank. We turned on the water and it sprayed out the other hose that would have connected to... Hmmm, not sure what it connected to. But it was there. So I turned a valve and tried again and the water came trickling out the sink... just barely... and Miles came running over yelling "SHUT IT OFF!" because it was gushing out the bottom of the RV like Niagara Falls.
 
So I sat and studied the hose hook up, layout and where everything might go. There was one tube I wasn't too sure where it went. I turned the valve a little more and it didn't gush out the bottom of the RV or soak the under the sink area either. Instead, it turned the RV into the worlds largest water sprinkler as it shot water out the roof. Now why in the hell would anyone have a hose running to the roof and leave it unsecured? I finally figured out where it was coming from and tried bypassing that hose (which apparently was the original hose from 1973) but that just made it come pouring out another hose.
 
I finally tore out the water filter and all the hoses from the point where the water comes into the RV to the point where it goes into the water heater/ sinks. I managed to figure out how to get the old scary looking hose off the pipe, at which point, gallons of water came gushing out, flooded the entire floor and ran out the cracks along the side. Any chance of me being "stealth" in trying to fix the plumbing went right out the window... ER, floor boards... as it looked like a lake under my RV and was creating little rivers and streams trying to make their way back to the ocean.
 
I couldn't get the water to stop rushing out (although it is quite nice to know my water heater holds that much water) so I had Miles jam a finger into the pipe while I ran outside and tried to bury the wet sand with dry sand so the night host wouldn't notice the extreme mess I was making (they generally frown upon things like this). I managed to figure out how to get the new hose onto the pipe without much more catastrophe. I clamped down the new hose and attached it to the water hose that goes to the hook up and then turned on the water.
 
Now at some point in all my stupidity of thinking I am a plumber, one of the guys here took pity on me and told me that if I was going to try something stupid (like bypassing the pump, filter and inside shut off) at least get a water pressure regulator and something about blowing the clamps off the hoses. I didn't really listen then, but I sure did learn what he meant when he was trying to explain it to me. You see, the water pressure coming from the faucet we hook up to is 80 PSI and he was serious when he said it would blow the clamps off the hoses and flood under the sink. That's exactly what happened. He knows his stuff! So not only did I have a "run away" hose spray down my cabinet, I also had gallons of water draining out of the water heater again. I got the water turned off and jammed the hose on the pipe to keep the heater from draining and ran outside to bury the wet sand with more dry sand. Then I bought a water pressure regulator. I had to have Robert tighten the clamp down enough so the water wouldn't spray out in jet force. It just didn't sit the same after having the clamps blown off the hose.
 
Then he turned on the water and we all waited to see if any water squirted, shot, dripped, poured or rained out of anyplace it shouldn't. WE HAVE WATER! We have RUNNING water in the RV now! Oh it is SO nice! When I flush the toilet now, there is water that swirls around the bowl and everything. I had to quit flushing the toilet and go empty the holding tank. It's fascinating! Miles took an ice cold bath too! Next project, figure out how to work the water heater.
 
Dotchi

No comments: