Well, now that the stomach virus is done with us, I can get back to
cleaning out the house. We have our "schedule" set up and I think it
should work okay. We're going to tweak it as needed. I had to add a few
things to the routine so I wouldn't forget. I added "Shot time" for Mendel
and I to take our Byetta injection (we're diabetic) and pill time during
meal. Miles build his own volcano on the back porch (yea) complete with
vents and glowing lava. He even told me the baking powder in the bottom
will be the magma until it explodes. :)
I am going to work on reading with Mendel since he wants to read RIGHT NOW
but is frustrated that he has to learn all the sounds (what a bummer).
I'll keep working with him on the Teach Your Child To Read book and show
him words outside the book. We're going to do Family math along with
Math-U-See since it has great ideas for hands on math. And science will
have words that Mendel can sound out typed in BOLD in the instructions. He
read two sentences out of a book today without any prompting! He was so
proud of himself. And claims he can't read.
Miles tried that with me today, but I know better. He can't read fast out
loud and has some trouble with larger words, but he can to read! We found
a finger test to help him find books he can read. You flip to a page in a
book and start reading... hold up one finger for every word you do not
know or can not pronounce.
1 Finger: This book is o.k. for you.
2 Fingers: Still good.
3 Fingers: Could be a bit hard for you to understand.
4 Fingers: Will be too difficult to read and understand.
5 Fingers: Choose another book.
I figure this will help him gain some confidence b/c when he is reading
"just to read" and not reading b/c he thinks he is trying to read, he does
a lot better.
Anyway, I need to get to bed.
Good-Night
Dotchi
------------------
I'm not talking to myself, I'm having a Parent-Teacher Conference.
No comments:
Post a Comment