You can read Day 1 here and Days 2, 3, and 4 here.
Our remaining Food Stamps balance from day 4 was $22.34.
Day 5 and 6 Breakfasts
We had coffee and tea, as usual for both days. I had one fruit leather strip for .50 We really aren't huge eaters in the morning.
Total for breakfast: .50
Remaining Food Stamps: $21.84
Day 5 and 6 Lunches
On day 5 for lunch we had leftover cabbage soup (FREE).
On day 6 we had leftover cucumber salad (FREE).
I am seeing how great leftovers can be and soups really seem to stretch the best. I like this idea!
Day 5 and 6 Dinners
Dinner for day 5 was cucumber salad. We bought enough cucumber salad to feed eight people. The cucumbers were $2 (.50 each x4). The rest of the ingredients were condiments which don't count toward our total. We also had rice (one bag for $1.49) and still have rice leftover for tomorrow.
Dinner on day 6, we splurged. We feel a little guilty but we needed something junk food like. So we had gluten-free cheese pizza. The dough mix was $3.79, the sauce was $2.39 and the cheese was $3.99 for a total of $10.17, which isn't as bad as expected since the cheese was on sale. I felt like I ate a horse! It was very good!
My friend made chicken Parmesan and I have to tell you, that was hard! I stared at it longingly and wandered back up to my apartment knowing I couldn't eat it. I love her chicken Parmesan! *sniffle*
Total for dinners: $13.66
Remaining food stamps: $8.18 (OUCH!)
Overview of the Food Stamps Challenge so far
I am really noticing that, compared to other people, we don't eat a lot of food. I think if we ate like most of our friends, this would be a lot harder. The hardest part so far is not buying ice cream, hummus and chips, chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, soda, canned tea and other foods that are our junk foods.
I will have to retry this without the kids too because I think it would definitely be more of a challenge on one person because of the way foods are priced. I did see broccoli on sale today and I am definitely going to buy some for tomorrow.
I noticed I am looking at foods for the lower prices and paying attention to sales more. With our limited diet though, this has been interesting because, in a few cases, I have had to step outside my comfort zone (like cucumber salad for dinner).
I am also rationing my coffee much more carefully and I am hoping it makes it to Sunday without having to buy more or skipping coffee. I would die without my coffee!
5 comments:
I like coffee. I used to be a pot or two a day drinker of coffee, but about three years ago, I mostly gave it up. Now, I only have a little bit, now and then, as a treat, with whole heavy cream. Love it. But for the challenge, I'm lucky, because I don't 'need' my coffee like I once did. That'll help me get through that part of it.
Yes, I am thinking the next time I try the challenge, I will be skipping coffee. As much as I love it, I think I need more food!
Do you ever make your own hummus?
Or cookies? GF cookies are EXPENSIVE.....ouch
Can you eat beans?
Sorry if this posts twice...have you ever made your own hummus? Can you eat beans? How about making your own cookies...GF free stuff is soo expensive unless you buy bulk ingredients.
I do make my own hummus but it just isn't that tasty. I do make GF cookies though! I love those! I'll have to post a recipe soon.
Post a Comment