Web Banking is supposed to make it easier for someone to pay their bills online and for the organizationally challenged (like myself) this is a definite bonus. No envelopes to seal, stamp, stuff in your purse and lose before you mail it off. No guessing about whether the bill was paid. No sweating over the finances because you can't remember if you mailed the bill to the right person... just log on and type in the amount and go.
Easier said than done. My bank (and I do love them!) decided to use "enhanced security" so my log in process would be safe. Safe it may be, but long drawn out and annoying is more like it. Here is how it goes:
Page 1- I actually open the web page to the bank. I can skip this if I bookmark the second page. I have to click on "online banking".
Page 2- I need to click on personal checking account (instead of business)
Page 3- I type in my access ID in all caps and hit enter.
Page 4- I type in a "security question answer" to a question only I know... if I remember what the heck I put in there in the first place. There are several questions to choose from.
Page 5- Type in the password if the tequila cup icon is there (I could use one by now)
Page 6- Read a blurb about heightened security and our protection and blablabla... click "list of accounts".
Page 7- Click on the account number.
Page 8- Click on "bill payment"
Page 9- Read a blurb about how much easier this is making your life then click "pay my bills now".
Page 10- Type in the amounts I want to pay and when I want to pay them. Click submit.
Page 11- Confirm that is what I want to pay and when I want to pay them.
Page 12- Confirm the information is correct and type in a note if I want. Hit submit.
Page 13- Confirmation numbers pop up and I print the page off.
If it always happened this long and drawn out without any glitches, I would be happy. But today I spent quite a bit of time re-connecting to the internet, guessing my security answers, forgetting to type in all caps, waiting for the page to load only to have the website blip out on me and have to redo the entire process from page 2 after getting to page 11 and resisting the urge to see how fast the laptop will sink when thrown overboard.
I am reconsidering the whole paper check and stamps thing. I need a tequila!
No comments:
Post a Comment